Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Part 2

2009 was the year that I went to MOTELx for the first time. Watching a horror movie surrounded by horror fans is an unique experience that only those that have lived understand the magnitude of. The drive was such that I got home and asked my girlfriend if she was willing to do all the chores for the next few weeks so I could do a short and meet the deadline. She agreed and I decided to dust of one of my 2006 ideas, make it less Robert Rodriguez and more Sergio Leone and that is when "Bats in the Belfry" (BitB) began.
In a span of 9 weeks I went from animatic to final product, Everyday I would wake up and go to work at 8am, be back home at 7pm, dinner at 8pm and at 11pm I'd go into the study and animate, draw and record sound until 5am. Delivered it 2 hours before the deadline and drove south for my much needed vacation... had to stop and sleep on the side of the road, for I was too tired to drive safely.
A few weeks later I got a call from MOTELx saying BitB had been chosen for the fest. I felt like I had just won the lottery. That was the prize I wanted: to have something I dreamed up being shown in a cinema screen. That was it mission accomplished. Then BitB won the short film competition and everything changed.

to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment